[squeak-dev] The role of Bob, Installer & Co.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Jul 4 18:36:25 UTC 2009

Folks -

I just had a very good (off-list) discussion where it was brought to my
attention that one might look at the proposal from the point of view
that it replaces Installer, Bob & Co. in situ and that there is no role
for these tools in the proposed process. Nothing could be further from
the truth.

What I am imagining goes along these lines: Consider Bob running
daily/weekly builds and then checks if any new fixes have appeared on
Mantis. If there is anything new, it loads the fix, runs the tests
inside the image, runs the tests attached to the bug. If this works out
Bob puts his "stamp of approval" on the fix or commits it directly to
the repository. In effect, Bob becomes our main harvester doing all the
boring integration stuff that we can reasonably automate.

This is actually quite similar to what Bob does today - except that Bob
isn't producing an image but rather commits to the trunk. In any case,
from my perspective there is a lot of room for Bob and Installer - be
that in providing up-to-date images from weekly builds, running
automated test suites, and so on.

I have no intention to get rid of Bob and Installer. I hope that with
Keith's help we can make maximum use of both since these are valuable
tools in a successful software development project.

Cheers,
   - Andreas