[squeak-dev] Re: A New Community Development Model

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jul 5 18:48:22 UTC 2009

Ken Causey wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 20:03 -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> * http://source.squeak.org/tests
>>
>> This is the main repository for unit tests. It will be world-readable
>> AND world-writable. We encourage everyone to write more tests and commit
>> them, improve the existing tests and bring in entirely new test suites.
>>
>> * http://source.squeak.org/inbox
>>
>> This repository is intended as dropbox. It’s usage will depend on what
>> we make it out to be. The idea is to have it world-readable and
>> world-writable, too.
>>

> I've had a question about this.  If a developer writes a test, finds a
> problem, and develops a fix is it the intention that she put the fix in
> inbox but the test in tests?  Doesn't that just complaint things for
> everyone in terms of linking the two?  What is the value of two separate
> inboxes?

To me, it's just a pre-filtering that says that anything in tests will
require less work (if any) for review during integration. Effectively I
would expect that if I merge tests this will work with no further
effort, whereas with inbox I would assume that I at least need to look
at what it does. If we find that this isn't a useful distinction we
should get rid of it but I think it would be useful to explicitly
encourage submitting tests.

Cheers,
   - Andreas