[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak Forks Popularity & Trends Estimate

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Jul 6 02:11:00 UTC 2009

Nevin Pratt wrote:
> And, there's nothing wrong with your opinion-- it's another data point,
> and I thank you for it.  It shows strong support for the base Squeak
> distro, and that's what my site is running right now.  I'm glad to see
> that support.

If your question is about whether Squeak will be supported over the next
years, then the answer is: Yes. As you can see we are currently trying
to fix our processes and get the contribution process unstuck. We are
working diligently to join the SFC and give use the same legal backing
that other large OSS projects have. We are very close to having a
squeaky-clean MIT licensed 4.0 release. And I'm pretty sure we still got
most of the mindshare. It doesn't mean that some communities go with an
alternative for some time, but to be honest, the judgement about the
longevity of these alternatives is still out and having run two of such
efforts in the past I know full well how difficult it is to capture
enough mindshare and what effective competition looks like.

Squeak is dead? Don't get me laughing.

Cheers,
   - Andreas