[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak Forks Popularity & Trends Estimate

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 02:16:28 UTC 2009

Nevin Pratt wrote:
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Nevin -
>>
>> Now that's a -5 troll if I've ever seen one. Please, everyone let's
>> not get into pointless "oh, my god, the sky is falling" discussions.
>>
>> At Squeak.org we got our work carved out for us. Here is what we need
>> to concentrate on: Fix our processes, enable contributions, discuss
>> strategy. Part of that strategy discussion obviously needs to include
>> positioning but there is really no point in dwelling about who is the
>> most popular Squeak in town.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>>

> It's not intended to be a troll.  Right now we are running a large (to
> me) commercial website on Squeak/Seaside, but Seaside seems to be
> moving to Pharo.  Do I move to?  I've got a commercial interest in
> this, and anything I do involves costs.  I'd like to minimize those
> costs, if at all possible.
>
> And, there's nothing wrong with your opinion-- it's another data
> point, and I thank you for it.  It shows strong support for the base
> Squeak distro, and that's what my site is running right now.  I'm glad
> to see that support.
>
> Nevin
My personal view is that in the process of doing all this work on pharo,
and recruiting all these developers away from squeak, the pharo guys
have done absolutely nothing at all to make your job easier. The net
result is that a group of people, outside of your control have ended up
making unnecessary work for you and for every other squeak package
maintainer (of which I have some 16 active projects)

This is why I have stayed with squeak. Because I feel we can achieve the
same results through specific focused planned and integrated projects,
while at the same time appreciating the process of migration and the
needs of existing users.

just my 2p

Keith