[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak Forks Popularity & Trends Estimate

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Mon Jul 6 03:06:22 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Nevin Pratt wrote:
>> And, there's nothing wrong with your opinion-- it's another data
>> point, and I thank you for it.  It shows strong support for the base
>> Squeak distro, and that's what my site is running right now.  I'm
>> glad to see that support.
>
> If your question is about whether Squeak will be supported over the
> next years, then the answer is: Yes. As you can see we are currently
> trying to fix our processes and get the contribution process unstuck.
> We are working diligently to join the SFC and give use the same legal
> backing that other large OSS projects have. We are very close to
> having a squeaky-clean MIT licensed 4.0 release. And I'm pretty sure
> we still got most of the mindshare. It doesn't mean that some
> communities go with an alternative for some time, but to be honest,
> the judgement about the longevity of these alternatives is still out
> and having run two of such efforts in the past I know full well how
> difficult it is to capture enough mindshare and what effective
> competition looks like.
>
> Squeak is dead? Don't get me laughing.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

In my opinion, Squeak will never die.  I never said it would, and I
never intended to even imply it would.  I'm sorry if you mistook it that
way.

My question was also not intended to imply whether or not any particular
distro would or would not be supported over the years.

Furthermore, I personally think that having multiple forks for multiple
purposes is entirely reasonable.  And all of them can be supported, and
many of them *will* be supported.  I personally think that's fine.

But it's still interesting to look at trends.  My questions were
specifically meant to try to fish out community perceptions about trends
regarding the application of development resources from a finite
development resource pool.  Nothing more.

When you say "I'm pretty sure we still got most of the mindshare", that
statement also is interesting, because it implies doubt-- and that doubt
would not have even existed (in my opinion) a few years ago.

Also, for what it's worth, I currently have no plans to move off of
Squeak and onto Pharo.  If I were going to move the site right now, the
most likely candidate would be GLASS (GemStone).

Nevin