[squeak-dev] Squeak News

tansel at squeakonline.com tansel at squeakonline.com
Mon Jul 6 22:33:58 UTC 2009

Hi Janko,

Quoting Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>:

> Hi Germán, Tansel,
>
> Germán Arduino pravi:
>
>> I wonder if squeak.org could host a subdomain or so to save this
>> invaluable material you produced...
>
> I open an Archive page on our website:
>
> 	http://www.squeak.org/PressRoom/Archive/
>
> Here we can slowly put all such historical material which is so
> important to save and store on the safe place.

Thanks!

> Let we put there all unzipped .iso files, which contain Squeak images,
> which then show the E-Zine, right? Question now is how to run them on
> nowaday VMs, because the VM is missing on the .iso.

Isos have VMs inside but I have only tested the Windows VMs on them
recently but I have used ISO mounted disks to run them in various
systems all the time. And it turns out it is not even a problem with
Mac OS X because I was able to run them with my default VM by just
double clicking the ezine.image. One problem I encountered though was
Mac complains the ISO format may be corrupted. They still work though.

Interestingly those issues turned out to be good examples of "write
once run everywhere" motto. Seeing them run on Mac OS-X is great. Even
today opening them up and seeing examples such as "Audio Explorer" in
"Active Essays in Studying Computer Music" makes me proud. Compare
this to the mess we are in with browsers and Javascript today which is
said to be a great improvement over 5 years ago!

Once we had a great little system with so much potential. I am still
trying to comprehend where we went wrong and weren't able to "play it
grand" with this "dinky little system" that had so much potential. And
I have been following the discussions we have been having recently and
I can't see the answers in them. I think we are missing the big
picture somewhere but I can't pinpoint where.

> Can someone spare some time and put together a "one-click" image with
> appropriate VM?

Never had a chance to reformat them and not likely to be able to do so
in the near future but if there were any volunteers to do anything
with them I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Cheers,

Tansel