[squeak-dev] Re: Re-liason proposal

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:09:45 UTC 2009

2009/7/6 John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>:
> Well for Sophie we made extensive use of Mantis, because it did work
> to collect bugs. Fixing them was another issue.

This clearly express the current challenge. Mantis has an organized
and traceable approach with issues but if one has to file in an issue,
fix it, submit a fix, wait indefinitely the fix is integrated, then it
makes the contribution nothing like "quick and simple". Mantis is
first and foremost a solution in a release process.

> But I think you all miss the point that you need to make it easy. Why can't
> I have a submit walkback to Mantis or
> to the Squeak Bug Reporting Czar? Or a menu item to submit a bug or feature
> request/whaterever on a menu somewhere.

John, this is an idea. I am inclined to believe that a solution
integrated within Squeak has increased chances of success.

2009/7/6 Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com>:

> For years how I have dealt with a number of situations where someone
> comes up and says the equivalent of 'Mantis sucks'.  And so I then try
> to engage them in a conversation designed at my understanding of what
> about Mantis sucks in their opinion and how it could be improved.  Not a
> single time have a been able to get a concrete proposal or explanation.

Sometimes having meaningful suggestions also mean to extensively use a
certain tool. And it seems obvious that those who claim "mantis sucks"
are unlikely to extensively use it.

> In this case you make a couple of suggestions.  I grant you that, but
> actually implementing them requires significantly more fleshing out of
> the proposals.

The more suggestions we get, the closer we are from a workable
solution. Hopefully. =)

Regards,
Ian
--