[squeak-dev] Compromise

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 7 02:14:06 UTC 2009

Given that not only are Andreas and I talking at cross purposes, but
also our processes are virtually orthogonal, I have concocted a compromise.

X) My 3.11 proposal is about harvesting contributions that are complete.
Y) Andreas' proposal is about getting people motivated to begin
contributing.

Due to the fact that I need to eat, and pay my bills, I am unable to do
anything for at least 12 weeks, I am sorry but that is how the cookie
has crumbled this week.

1.

I propose that Ken organise the Mantis crew (you know who you are) to
pick the top 100/200 or 300 bugs, and to test them in latest
"3.10.2-build" available from

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.11/Squeak3.10.2-build/090628-1523/

Mark those tests you are most confident in as "Resolved" - "fixed in
3.11", that is all you need to do to harvest a fix.

2.

Andreas to review and edit the image re-organisation tasks as defined in...

Installer install: 'Packages'.
Installer ss project: 'Bob'; install: 'Tasks-Squeak310'.

Squeak310PlusOne-#taskReorganizeCategories.
Squeak310PlusOne-#taskReorganizePackages.

Define your own ideal image organisation, hopefully following the model
provided which puts tests in context next to the category they are
testing (for a much tidier image)

Add to the above additional code to split up System and Network into
smaller pieces that can be farmed out. (Please someone find a new
HTTPClient/HTTPSocket)

Reorganise "3.10.2-build" using the above, and save to the "trunk"
repository, so that new contributions will use the new "designed"
organisation of packages.

3.

Andreas, Eliot, Igor, Matthew et al.

Pick/Instigate 2-10 projects to carry out in the newly organised trunk
(or elsewhere as appropriate), each aiming to deliver a completed "grand
refactoring".

One of these could/should be the re-licence, and a second should try and
fix our changes file limit problems, a third should be integration of
closures.

4.

Göran and Igor

Hammer away on DeltaStreams so that we have a cool way to share and load
these "grand refactorings".

5.

Keith

On my return, I will import all of Mantis into MC, so that the chosen
list of bugs is remembered (I will put the code to do this is into
squeaksource/Bob when it lets me).

I will then configure Bob to build the 3.11 release alpha/beta with the
300 best fixes, and any completed grand refactorings. Which can be
applied before or after the fixes as desired.

How about it?

Keith