[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Just a little point

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 16:40:40 UTC 2009

Chers amis, désolé pour l'anglais mais comme je voulais que tous les principaux intéressés comprennent mon point de vue, j'ai choisi l'anglais!

Okay guys, let's put things in perspective here...

Pharo isn't at war with Squeak and vice-versa...  Just like any kid, it just wants to "live it's own life" and somehow, somewhat, slowly progress and become a little bit different from its parents, here namely Squeak.

If find it weird that 2 Smalltalk implementations/communities, so close to each other like Squeak and Pharo, go to great lengths at flaming each other...  Don't you find it weird that such discussions don't happen between VisualWorks and Dolphin, between VisualAge and GNU Smalltalk, etc ?

We're from the same family.  Okay, we're all a bit different different but, deep inside, we're so the same.

I'm a happy Smalltalker who's daily job involves VisualWorks, Dolphin and VisualAge.  In my spare time, I'm happy "squeaking" and "pharoing".  Can't we just respect each other's goals/ambitions/dreams and try to find some communality and try to stay "not too far from each other and benefit from each other" instead of starting a "cold war" that will only leave us isolated, both in our own camps ?  I'm puzzled!  What do I do if I like both?  Choose my camp or abandon them both ?

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)