Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 07:10:23 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 08 Jul 2009 12:03:37 pm Ian Trudel wrote:
> The overall attitude of some in the community is pretty much "don't
> like it? change it.", "don't like Squeak? Fork it." Etc.
Squeak is about personal productivity. I find it offers the path of least
resistance for personal programming projects. For some UI may be important,
but for others, it is just a means to an end. I don't know if this can be
called an attitude because Squeak's UI has absorbed many ideas over the years
without losing its ability to 'get a job done'. The pace of contributions has
slowed for sure, but such dips are a natural part of tech adoption curve.
> Considering
> that someone has pointed out some of us uses Squeak for more than 10
> years, it's not just about usability and look-and-feel anymore, but
> the big question is:
>
>         have we got too comfy with Squeak and accepted its general state?
You must be kidding :-). The diversity and volume of opinions in this list can
hardly constitute 'acceptance' ;-).

Subbu