Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: [squeak-dev] The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:29:57 UTC 2009

I have worked with couple of man, who were using only unix console
(shell) for everything they need.
And switching to graphics mode, only when they need to use a browser
to visit sites :)

Needless to say, that they were highly productive and feel pretty
content with an obscurity & unavailability of colorful buttons/menus
etc etc.
But not all of us is such professionals, and there is a huge gap
between UI for decent user and UI for IT professional doing its job.

In same way, i heard from multiple people here, when i asked: why you
never try/use Pharo , the answer was:
 - i can't use OB, it is alien to me.
What is interesting, that as to me, the default Squeak browser and OB
are pretty much the same.
So there is another side of this: an inertia of people who mastered
something & using it , and don't see any reasons why things need to be
changed in any way.

But all of above stays between us - professionals & developers. What
we (Squeak) proposing to decent users in this regard?
I am sorry to say , but to my thinking - nearly nothing.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.