[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Just a little point

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 19:40:45 UTC 2009

Yanni Chiu wrote:
> Keith Hodges wrote:
>> Several things that wind me up, one is wasted effort, and another is
>> duplicated effort, and the third is making plans to duplicate effort on
>> purpose.
>
> But it's not wasted/duplicated effort. Making code cross-dialect is
> not free - it's extra work that's being deferred. The deferred work
> can be until: later (after the new creation has solidified), or never
> (because the creation was not useful).
I spend a fair bit of time extending SUnit with various features.

Measures
    - does a test use the net or not
    - how long does the test take

Categories
    - categorise tests on timings
    - categorise tests on use of network or not
    - categorise tests on platform, image, or vm

Suite Building
    - tidier code
    - Build suites using method prefixes test*
    - Build suites using category names (to support SSpec conventions)

Test Running
    - Select/reject tests based upon categorisation
    - Non-gui based test runner

It was so long ago that I cant remember what else.

So today I am browsing a few blogs, and I find...
> I submitted a simple extension of the SUnit Test Runner to the Pharo
> Inbox. It accurately determines the test coverage of a selected
> package. For the latest versions of Magritte and Pier I get the
> following results:
>
> Posted by Lukas Renggli at 30 March 2009, 8:57 pm
I thought, thats nice, I would like to use that... but I cant.

Why? Is there any thing that I can do more to enable this situation not
to occur.

The first I thought was obvious, was to put the SUnit package into a
public repository where improvements could be contributed and tested as
a shared endeavor.

Some people however, have no attitude of share and share alike.

This attitude is a philosophical choice which precedes any technical issues.

Why should I put effort into improving something for others, if others
are going to improve the same thing in a way that I cannot use, when
there is no technical reason for it.
> It can also be deferred for someone else to do.
I wrote the improvements I made to SUnit in 2006, how much more deferred
do you want?

> Thinking about cross-dialect issues can stifle invention. I'd rather
> see the invention happen.
Innovation is overrated if it isnt valued. If you dont value the
contribution of others, then those other might eventually learn not to
bother contributing.

After 4 years active in the squeak community, I am seriously considering
whether this was time well spent.
> Maybe there is some wasted effort in the process, but that concern
> would be mitigated if the new invention brought more people to the
> community.
(wondering where Tim is now)

Keith