[squeak-dev] [Chronology] removing line feeds, fix underscores

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 21:55:25 UTC 2009

David T. Lewis wrote:
> I did some housekeeping on some classes in Squeak Chronology that had
> line feed characters embedded in method source and class comments. Along
> the way I updated the underscore assignments to := and made some trivial
> cosmetic fixes. I retained the original author initials and method
> timestamps throughout, because all changes involve either the adding
> or removing of non-printable control characters, or the removal of
> an unnecessary $. at the end of a method (this was to trick Montecello
> into accepting the changes).
>
> If you are updating your image through the update stream, these fixes
> are effective as of Kernel-dtl.176.mcz in source.squeak.org/trunk.
>
> This is intended to resolve Mantis 5229: "Linefeeds in 22 Methods in
> 3.9g-7061" and Mantis 5675: "Many method sources and class comments
> have been contaminated with Character lf".
>
> Dave

Sorry David, Andreas,

I know you are patting yourselves on the back at how finally things are
moving forward. But I think that this is illustrative of the problem I
have with this process. What use is trunk to me now?

The process of building a new release relies upon existing external
packages being updated to their latest versions. Those latest versions
have been written to work in 3.10.2 not trunk.

So it is not a good idea to base the build process of the next release
upon trunk, especially because the build process out of necessity starts
with 3.10.2 and is geared to providing a 3.10.3 as well as a 3.11

Every commit to trunk is more stuff that has to be redone in another
form to be useful.

Keith