[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak vision

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Jul 14 03:18:00 UTC 2009

At Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:01:21 HST,
osp at aloha.com wrote:

> >   I'd think that not all educational software and content should be
> > open-source.  But Etoys is.  So, what is your point?
>
> Maybe it is just me, but "a fast bytecode package loader, without the need
> to compile Smalltalk code" combined with "such feature could make life
> easier to third party Etoys developer and eventually attract more of them
> to Etoys" sounds like an endorsement of closed-source commercial
> EToys.

  Huh?  Do you see that all Linux distributions and package systems
are an endorsement of closed source commercial products?

> If commercial success is not the attraction, what is? Faster initial
> load time? Reduced file transfer size?

  So you do see benefits.  Strange.

> Perhaps I assumed too much.

  BTW, it would take a minute or so for you to see that Etoys is open
source and Dr Geo II is free software.  If you make an assumption that
simply contradicts with facts, it doesn't take you anywhere.

> My point is that commercial software, and commercial textbooks, drive up
> the cost of education. The success of the open-source software movement
> serves as a model for how we ought to be producing educational materials. I
> see Squeak at the foundation of that solution.

  Well, by claiming that Etoys and DrGeoII have some hidden motives,
you are failed to make the point effectively.

  And when you don't know how DrGeoII works or how Etoys loads it or
even Etoys is an open source...  How would you contribute to the
sucssess of the movement?

  (And yes, I think there is nothing wrong with some textbooks being
not free.)

-- Yoshiki