[squeak-dev] re: debugging plugin and virtual machine

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:01:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Ang Beepeng <beepeng86 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Can I know what is the development environment used for Cog? How it is
> debugged?

On Mac OS X I use XCode to build, using either the included gcc or the intel
icc compiler.  The intel compiler makes a lot of difference for the
interpreter Ms but little difference for cog.  But since I've been using icc
for the interpreter it is more work to switch back :)  For debugging I use
gdb.

On Windows I use cygwin to build with the 3.4.x compiler, but we can also
build with the older 2.95 mingw environment, and with Visual C++ of any
vintage from 6 onwards.  To debug I typically use cygwin with gdb.  For some
reason the newer MinGW 5.1.4 with the gcc 3.4.5 compiler doesn't work yet.

On linux I use whatever the bundled gcc is so that currently means gcc 4.1.x
& gdb 6.x.

And of course I do as much debugging and development in Squeak as possible
:)