[squeak-dev] Re: Cross fork development model

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jul 14 21:02:33 UTC 2009

Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> Recent proposition from Andreas is I think a good booster for trunk
> squeak development.
> However, as Keith underlined, it is not a model for cross-fork development.
>
> You want a simple example?
> Try merging source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel and www.squeaksource.com/Pharo/Kernel
> Too many methods changed... and are marked as conflicting.
> Cross-fork management requires a much finer grain for sure!
> We have to sharpen our tools or invent something...

Actually, the changes are much less dramatic than what one might think.
After looking at it, it appears that most of the changes are either the
result of converting from underscore to colon-equals (trivial to fix) or
from integrating the closure changes. The latter is something I am
currently working on (if you updated from trunk you may have noticed
that I've added a necessary PackagInfo version that supports
preambles/postscripts) and as of yesterday, I was able to load the
entire closure bootstrap using Monticello (and then it dies when trying
to recompile everything ;-)

But in any case, I think that if you wait until (roughly) the weekend
you will find that the differences have been reduced to something quite
manageable.

Thanks for looking over this though - it is really helpful to get an
understanding about the actual differences and discuss them in context!

Cheers,
   - Andreas