[squeak-dev] Re: Cross fork development model

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Thu Jul 16 09:05:28 UTC 2009

Douglas Brebner wrote:
> Joshua Gargus wrote:
>
>> Keith Hodges wrote:

>>> Absolutely not.
>>>
>>> MC is maintained as an external package, once for all, the repository is
>>> open. It is not maintained in trunk, nor should it be.
>>>

>> Can you explain why?  Consider the following (please grant me the
>> first point, in the interest of a meaningful discussion):
>>

> Isn't keeping MC in the trunk directly contradictory to the whole point
> of seperating the image into packages and splitting them out?

No.  It will still be loadable/unloadable; it will be included for
convenience.  You could create a Squeak image without a compiler too,
but this would be inconvenient for the "default" Squeak image (the one
you first find when looking on squeak.org).

> Won't it
> also make using MC in other smalltalks gratituously harder?

I don't see why.  All that it means for a package to be "in the trunk"
is to be in a particular Monticello repository.  In order for a package
to be compatible across Squeak versions (and even with other
Smalltalks), somebody has to put in effort.  The effort required is not
reduced by simply storing the package in a repository "outside the trunk".

Cheers,
Josh