[squeak-dev] Closure testers needed

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Jul 16 17:39:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 12:33 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 11:59 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:23 -0400, Ian Trudel wrote:
> > > SqueakVM-Win32-3.11.3-bin.zip
> > > Squeak3.10-7159-basic.image
> > > SqueakV39.sources
> > >
> > > All updates applied according to the given protocol.
> > >
> > > fib := [:n| n < 2 ifTrue:[1] ifFalse:[(fib value:n-1) + (fib value:n-2)]].
> > > fib value: 10.
> > >
> > >  89
> > >
> > > Slight problem here...
> > >
> > > /* wxMaxima 0.8.0
> > >
> > > (%i1) fib(10);
> > > (%o1) 55
> > >
> > > Ian.
> >
> > The problem here is the fib implementation and not closure support, you
> > will get the same result in any Smalltalk implementation.  It defines
> > the fib value: 0 as 1 and not 0 so as a result the implementation is off
> > by one step at every point.
> >
> > Ken
>
> It was pointed out to me that it is my reading comprehension skills that
> need some work as this implementation comes from Andreas' original
> email.  I'm not sure his point with this example other than that if it
> does not fail catastrophically, then it is a success.
>
> Ken
>
> P.S. I am currently testing the closure stuff on 32-bit linux using a
> Bryce VM from
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15.1-linux.tz
>
> and will report back.

*sigh*

I really should not reply to an email without waiting a few hours for
the information to sink in.

Clearly this example is testing something (which I admit I don't quite
get) that fails without proper closure support.

At any rate I can now report success on 32-bit Linux using the above VM
and following the directions in Andreas' original email up to the point
of testing the fib implementation and getting the 'correct' answer of
89.

I guess I'll run tests and anything else I can think of next.

Ken