[squeak-dev] thisClass

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 19:34:46 UTC 2009

2009/7/16 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>     in working on Cog I need the concept of "here class", the class of the
> current method.  Analogous to super, where a lookup starts above the class
> of the current method, here class is the class of the current method.  if
> you're for example collecting sets of selectors for translation to C then
> you need to talk about the selectors of this method's class, not the
> selectors of some subclass which may simply extend the base class a little.
> One clumsy implementation is the following
>     thisContext method methodClass

> which one might use as in
>     thisContext method methodClass theNonMetaClass selectors do: [:sel| ...
> Given this isn't important enough to change the language and add a new
> pseudo-variable such as hereClass I just want to add it to ContextPart, e.g.
>     thisContext thisClass
> Anyone done this before, and if so what did you call it?

If you're want only to short-cut writing:

     thisContext method methodClass

then why use other selector than methodClass?

Btw, in Pharo image (which i currently running) there is already such
thing, implemented as:
ContextPart>>methodClass
	"Answer the class in which the receiver's method was found."

	^self method methodClass ifNil:[self receiver class].

A method stamp reads:
md 2/17/2006 18:41 · debugger access

so it looks like it been there for a while.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.