[squeak-dev] Re: Cross fork development model

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 21:51:57 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Sorry, can't catch up the long topic..
> Just a few things which i found important:
>
> Keith says, that MC is maintained as a separate package.
> Good point.
> Therefore all changes/submissions to MC should be stockpiled in its
> own repository.
>
> Another point:
> - Keith's vision seem too complex for many people to understand.
>
> So, what i proposing:
> Lets just refine and write down a simple set rules, and use them for
> our daily needs.

I think the problem is it is too simple and people dont get it..

Fixes go into mantis period.

Better packages are committed to package repositories.

In Sake/Packages the better package definitions can call up the fixes
that they need for a particular image.

=== thats it quite simple ====

So the way to move forward is for someone to say "I am working on this
project" and to set it up in its own repository.

The way not to go forward is to have everyone working on the image in a
shared repository in an unplanned manner.

If andreas had said "we want to move forward and to do so I have idea X,
Y, and Z" and people signed up for X,Y, and Z and the community was told
what X, Y, and Z were and how X, Y, and Z are going to be delivered for
the benefit of as many as possible  then all would be cool

Keith