[squeak-dev] Release engineering

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 17:55:42 UTC 2009

2009/7/17 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
> Given our rather small active developer community I do not find it advisable
> to split the work force. Everyone should work together towards a release and
> not just the few poor souls who work on the release branch. This way
> everyone uses the release candidate, it gets much wider testing etc.
>
> I recently saw a presentation on the OpenBSD release process and found
> Theo's argument in favor of this convincing:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7pkyDUX5uM

I haven't checked the video yet. Your comment puts things back into
perspective. Limited work force should taken into consideration and
whatever the solutions are, it shouldn't give more work to those who
actively participate.

This reminds me that we are perhaps trying to run before we can walk (again).

The community repositories is an experiment as far as I have
understood, which should allow to reenact community commitment to
Squeak and, ultimately, figure out a development model that will be
fit to the community.

3.11 proposal is all about planning. Community development model is
all about action. We need to get dirty and see how it turns out. Then,
we can bring real solutions rather than solutions to problems that we
haven't encountered yet. We cannot continuously step ahead problems.

Bert, I agree with you.

Ian.

--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/