[squeak-dev] Nebraska-edc.15 in trunk unloadable

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 17 22:00:59 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 17.07.2009, at 20:38, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>
>> On 7/17/09 1:47 PM, "Ken Causey" <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
>>
>>> More info:
>>>
>>> It turns out that the first update I did not have was
>>> ReleaseBuilder-edc.33 .  So I merged this in manually and then moved on
>>> to the next which was Nebraska-edc.14.  It's actually on this update
>>> that I get the error.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure of the behavior of the updates process.  Is it possible
>>> that if I have neither .14 or .15 that in fact it doesn't merge 14 and
>>> then 15 but simply 15?  Perhaps it is in fact irrelevant.
>>>
>>> Ken
>> You need wait until Andreas and me have perfect understanding.
>

> No, you need to upload your new MorphicExtras package too, since you
> moved the method from Nebraska to this package.
>
> Besides, in my image loading the latest Kernel package removes
> Semaphore>>wait, which is fatal. Anyone else seeing this?
>
> - Bert -
Sorry but I have to laugh...

The result of this will be, more rules and controls as to whom can
contribute to trunk. As a result yet more people will get upset and
their contributions will not be valued or accepted.

In a team different people have different strengths, some are ideas
people and break things, some are a pain and ask the relevant questions,
some are finishers and dot i's and cross t's... I venture to suggest
that this "experimental" trunk process cannot support them all.

It can only really support those who are gifted like Andreas who can be
a whole team in one person, and most of us are used to trying to do
that, otherwise we would get nothing done ourselves.

So what you really need to do is put people in groups of people that
complement each others skills, and each group takes on a specific task.

Some will try and tell you that there has not been much progress in the
past two years, but the truth is that several major problem areas have
been tackled in this manner. In my team-let I have been the ideas person
(that breaks things in fits of inspiration), and Matthew has been the
sensible one that makes sure things work, it has worked quite well.

The problem of MC not working has been worked upon ad infinitum.
The problem of FileDirectory has been worked upon. Rio has been
rewritten 3 times in the past 2 years.
The problem of Packaging and dependants has been tackled, Sake/Packages
has had several iterations, and is now a bit simpler and more functional
than before.
Logging has had a few times around the block, etc etc.

So how about some ideas for some team initiatives that we can road map in.

Keith