[squeak-dev] Squeak VM questions

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jul 21 20:25:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:52:46PM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> Thank you very much David, this is I believe generally useful
> information to keep the community up to date on the state of the VM.  Is
> there any way I could convince you to report back to squeak-dev say at
> least quarterly on the current status of VM development work
> particularly with regards to 64bit and any other changes?

Well, you should not need to convince me, since that is supposed to be
one of my duties as the "team leader" for the elusive VM team ;) So consider
me convinced. I've floated some suggested "to-do" items to the team that
should give me some interesting things to report within the next few
weeks, so I'll plan to file a first quarterly update a few weeks from now.
Thanks for the prodding.

> I for one have been concerned with the extent to which differences
> between the platform VMs have been showing up recently.  I hope this is
> just a temporary issue.

Yes it is a temporary issue, although I fear that adding support for
various 64-bit platforms could cause significant extra work for the
platform maintainers, so we'll need to keep an eye on that if it gets
to be a problem.

Dave