[squeak-dev] Squeak VM questions

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 21:44:30 UTC 2009

El mar, 21-07-2009 a las 16:25 -0400, David T. Lewis escribió:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:52:46PM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> > Thank you very much David, this is I believe generally useful
> > information to keep the community up to date on the state of the VM.  Is
> > there any way I could convince you to report back to squeak-dev say at
> > least quarterly on the current status of VM development work
> > particularly with regards to 64bit and any other changes?
>
> Well, you should not need to convince me, since that is supposed to be
> one of my duties as the "team leader" for the elusive VM team ;) So consider
> me convinced. I've floated some suggested "to-do" items to the team that
> should give me some interesting things to report within the next few
> weeks, so I'll plan to file a first quarterly update a few weeks from now.
> Thanks for the prodding.
>
> > I for one have been concerned with the extent to which differences
> > between the platform VMs have been showing up recently.  I hope this is
> > just a temporary issue.
>
> Yes it is a temporary issue, although I fear that adding support for
> various 64-bit platforms could cause significant extra work for the
> platform maintainers, so we'll need to keep an eye on that if it gets
> to be a problem.
>
> Dave

Thanks to all for your answers. And you are right, I have installed the
ia32-libs on my Debian Lenny and I can use the 32bit built exupery vm to
run the pharo image with closures from my amd64 install. I'll test the
squeak image tonight. That for the moment solves my problems. Of course
the community will be grateful to read the updates on the vm area.

Thanks,
Miguel Cobá