[squeak-dev] Did Alice wander?

John McKeon p3anoman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 04:19:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Gary Dunn <osp at aloha.com> wrote:

> I was reading about SqueakMap and came across the Swiki page for Alice
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1861
>
> Is anyone actively using Alice in Squeak?
>
>    - The page was last edited in 2004
>
>    - The first link is dead
>
>    - The second link goes to the new, improved Sun sponsored all Java
> version of Alice, which appears to be healthy
>
>    - The third link downloads a Ph.D. dissertation from 1997
>
>    - After the outdated info is a rant on the shortcomings of OpenGL.
> It just starts up, mid stream, "There is a serious design flaw in the
> lighting or rather the shading." This should be removed.
>
>    - A search on the Swiki for Alice includes a page on Falice which
> links to www.falice.com which is a parked domain.
>
> Last but not least, when I try to load "FullImageProjectAlice" I get
> errors. Very likely I am doing something wrong.
>
> Is this worth pursuing, or has Alice in Squeakland wandered off?

Aloha Gary,
I remember the first time I saw Squeak, A;ice was pre-loaded in the image,
so I did some digging.
If  you are really interested go to ftp.squeak.org and download a a 2.x
version of Squeak.
The 2.8 distribution has it installed. Be warned, the older Squeak interface
might disappoint you ;)

Regards
John McKeon

--