[squeak-dev] Did Alice wander?

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Thu Jul 23 10:28:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 00:19 -0400, John McKeon wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Gary Dunn <osp at aloha.com> wrote:
>         I was reading about SqueakMap and came across the Swiki page
>         for Alice
>
>         http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1861
>
>         Is anyone actively using Alice in Squeak?
>
>            - The page was last edited in 2004
>
>            - The first link is dead
>
>            - The second link goes to the new, improved Sun sponsored
>         all Java
>         version of Alice, which appears to be healthy
>
>            - The third link downloads a Ph.D. dissertation from 1997
>
>            - After the outdated info is a rant on the shortcomings of
>         OpenGL.
>         It just starts up, mid stream, "There is a serious design flaw
>         in the
>         lighting or rather the shading." This should be removed.
>
>            - A search on the Swiki for Alice includes a page on Falice
>         which
>         links to www.falice.com which is a parked domain.
>
>         Last but not least, when I try to load "FullImageProjectAlice"
>         I get
>         errors. Very likely I am doing something wrong.
>
>         Is this worth pursuing, or has Alice in Squeakland wandered
>         off?
>
> Aloha Gary,
> I remember the first time I saw Squeak, A;ice was pre-loaded in the
> image, so I did some digging.
> If  you are really interested go to ftp.squeak.org and download a a
> 2.x version of Squeak.
> The 2.8 distribution has it installed. Be warned, the older Squeak
> interface might disappoint you ;)
>
> Regards
> John McKeon

Thanks, John. I downloaded the 2.8 image and changes files, and the V2
sources, and launched squeak with those. It opens fine, if old looking,
and Alice is in there. I did a Wonderland new. and ran into an error:

mustBeBoolean
	"Catches attempts to test truth of non-Booleans.  This message is sent
from the
	interpreter."

	self error: 'NonBoolean receiver--proceed for truth.'.
	^true

The offending code is

areasRemainingToFill: aRectangle
	^myCamera drawSceneBackground
		ifTrue:[aRectangle areasOutside: self bounds]
		ifFalse:[Array with: aRectangle]

where "bounds" in the ifTrue branch is highlighted.

A little more digging reveals that senders of bounds have something to
do with AlignmentMorph, which is old stuff -- is the problem that ny VM
is too "new.?"

Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Is there a way to cast "bounds" to
the Boolean requirement? Sorry, that's my C showing.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/