[squeak-dev] Re: Nebraska-edc.15 in trunk unloadable

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Thu Jul 23 21:09:11 UTC 2009

Am 18.07.2009 um 06:54 schrieb Andreas Raab:
> Ken Causey wrote:
> > P.S. One thing the new update stream does appear to lack compared
> to the
> > old update stream is the ability to easily update only up to a
> certain
> > update number.  Is there some way that could be implemented?
> Clearly
> > the trunk is not the simplistic linear thing the old update stream
> was.
>
> We can do that and it's certainly worth considering. All it would
> take is to not do the last part of the above description, i.e., do
> not update beyond what is listed in the last configuration.
>
> The consequence of the approach would be that once you've pushed a
> change and it works you need to do an additional step and update the
> configuration to include that package. If people feel it would be
> safer to work that way, it would require only a tiny modification of
> the script, at the cost of requiring two steps before a change
> really reaches everyone who updates.
>
> Comments? Preferences? Opinions?
One advantage of having to update the configuration for each change
would be that the update number could be used as a build number.

I have another question regarding the new development process: It is
possible for a core developer to remove a package version from the
trunk when he finds out that it breaks the update, right?

Cheers,
Bernhard