[squeak-dev] Failing tests in Trunk (was: Closures in Trunk)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 22:09:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com>wrote:

> Am 19.07.2009 um 08:16 schrieb Andreas Raab:
>
>> Finally, since the updates will take quite a while, I've prepared an image
>> that is up-to-date with the trunk as of today. You can download it from
>> here:
>>
>> http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak3.10.2-trunk.zip
>>
> Thanks, Andreas!
>
> I have downloaded the new image, loaded the code updates and then ran the
> tests. On a Mac with the VM 4.1.1beta2U I get 10 failures and 22 errors.
> Most of the errors are BlockClosureTests and ClosureCompilerTests. Is that
> to be expected or is it just me somehow?

Yes.  My first attempt at the closure compiler did not fix the decompiler,
did not implement copying methods with temp names correctly and had a minor
compiler bug with optimized blocks.

The issue with the decompiler and with copying methods with temp names is
that with BlueBook blocks temporaries are simply an array but with closures
they are a tree, since temporaries in blocks live in those blocks, not on
the stack of the home context.  Since the decompiler and discarding sources
can be lived without I left them for later.

I now have a functional decompiler, have implemented copy with temp names
and have an unintegrated fix for the compiler bug (the failing test
is testInlineBlockCollectionLR3).  Once Andreas' new Monticello loader is
more generally available I can make these fixes available.  The problem is
that the fixes are integrated into packages in Qwaq's repository and being
compiler changes they don't "just load".

I note that in 3.10.2 there was only 1 failure on the Mac at least, not
> quite but almost green. This leads me to another question about the New
> Community Development Model: Should there be a rule that no commit to the
> trunk is allowed to introduce new failures or errors? I think that rule
> would be good. What do others think?

Apologies but the failures with closures could not be avoided as there
was a lot to do.  I had to release incrementally if I was going to get
anything out at all.  So in certain cases such as this I would beg an
exception.