[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Tutorial: build a custom VM/app/setup for Win32

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jul 24 06:51:04 UTC 2009

Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> Thanks for uploading! If your time permits it would be nice if
> you can include a short section on how to catch cmd/. to provide
> a login dialog (like the qwaq image has) or other tips you may
> know from your product.

That's easy: You install a custom user interrupt handler. In our case
all it does is signaling a Tweak signal in the main UI and the UI takes
that signal and offers the interrupt dialog. If you know the magic word
(no it's not Sesame ;-) it allows you to do a couple of unusual things.
The interrupt password itself is stored MD5-encoded in the image (so
it's not easily sniffable).

Another thing we do is install a global error handler
(SystemErrorHandler default) that is used if no exception handler is
active, and no per-process handler has been set. This allows handling
errors in any processes anywhere.

Both of these are available in Croquet btw; check out
InputSensor>>installInterruptWatcher: and Process>>handleError: /
UnhandledError>>defaultAction.

> Another question: did you already integrate my suggestion for
> the version ressource in the *.rc file of the VM build?

*sheepishly* I keep forgetting that. Send me a makefile which uses it or
something so that I am forced to set it properly ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas