[squeak-dev] Communication medium - Why not use/anticipate wave tools ?

David Goehrig dave at nexttolast.com
Tue Jul 28 02:27:06 UTC 2009

The Google Wave protocol isn't terribly hard to implement, as it is only
really an extension of XMPP, which is XML over TCP/IP with a crappy and
overly verbose DTD.
 This isn't something some of us haven't already done repeatedly over
the years.  (First time I built this sort of system was 2001/2002 for
a online fantasy sports site)
 Bindings would only take a day or two, the trick is really adding a robust
server to Squeak/Pharo/etc, and the engineering for that infrastructure (say
10k concurrent per node) is beyond what the VM can realistically handle.  So
interfacing with Google Wave, couple days of work.  Sharing Smalltalk code
and editing it over Google Wave, well keep your eyes open cause that's
already underway :)
Dave