[squeak-dev] Stylesheets for morphic?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jun 5 09:42:44 UTC 2009

On 05.06.2009, at 06:13, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On June 4, 2009, Michael Rueger wrote:
> > Igor Stasenko wrote:
> > > I really thinking that what is good in css/html couple is the
> techique
> > > for dividing the actual markup and its visual appearance.
> > > Maybe someday we could have similar stuff in morphic / other
> smalltalk
> > > framework.
> >
> > In Sophie we used XUL and CSS to build the UI :-)
> > Using Tweak, not Morphic though. The basic principle shouldn't be to
> > hard to apply to Morphic or other frameworks.
> >
> > Michael
>
> So part of Sophie is essentially XUL renderer, similar to Gecko?

Depends on what you mean by "essentially". Gecko renders HTML, Sophie
does not.

The Sophie UI (dialogs etc.) is specified using XUL - it describes how
big a dialog is, where to place which widgets, and how they should
look. These attributes come from cascading style sheets (CSS) so they
are properly inherited / overridden by sub-controls. But the actual
widgets such styled are regular Tweak widgets (though style support
was added). You could use the same framework to style a Morphic UI.

- Bert -