[squeak-dev] What does the underscore do?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Jun 12 06:11:40 UTC 2009

At Sun, 7 Jun 2009 11:02:03 +0200,
Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> That's an old story.
> ASCII 1963 had a left arrow (that then became an underscore) and an up
> arrow (now the caret), so as many keyboard of th 60s.

  If I understand it correctly, ASCII 63 did not have a left arrow.
ISO decided to dump it at the ISO/TC97/SC2 meeting 1963, and ASCII
adopted the decision, too.  There was some backward compatibility
transition time when companies stick to the left arrow for like a
decade and some software at that time was using it.

-- Yoshiki