[squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board Meeting Report for June 17, 2009

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 19 05:33:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:39:13AM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> Please see
>
> http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/meeting-report-for-6172009/

Thanks Ken,

With respect to:

> We spent the bulk of the meeting talking about 3.11 status.  We didn't
> come to any significant conclusions but resolved to increase communication
> with the release team and compile as much information as possible about the
> current status of this project and where it is going next.

I would like to request that, in the context of the 3.11 status, the board
also discuss the reestablishment of an update stream for Squeak releases.
Squeak has been without a usable update stream since Squeak 3.8. In my view,
this is simply inexcusable.

<rant>
Working on cool new tools to improve the update stream is not a substitute
for providing an actual working update stream to the community. Over a period
of several months^h^h^h^h^hyears, it has been really quite embarrassing to
watch various attempts to distribute updates in a frankenstream of Monticello
archives and 10MB monolithic images. This is followed by complaints that
nobody is paying any attention to the updates. Finally, we have great distress
and wringing of hands when it is discovered that our change histories have
been destroyed (because there was no update stream, d'oh!) and we can't figure
out our licensing because we don't even know who made changes, or how, when
and why the changes got into the image.
</rant>

Dave