[squeak-dev] What can be an actionSelector

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Fri Jun 19 11:36:25 UTC 2009

Thanks for all the help getting me started with Squeak.

I decided to play around with the morphic development style rather than
working directly in the Class Browser. My goal is to develop techniques
for developing apps for the Open Slate project. I have always wanted a
HyperCard-like application to use for this purpose and am delighted to
discover that a StackMorph does just that.

Having created a minimal stack, I set out to learn how to provide
navigation controls. I placed a buttom morph on the background used
later in the stack with a target of the name of the StackMorph and an
actionSelector of goToFirstCardOfStack. This works. But when I put a
button on the first page, which has a different background, and make its
actionSelector goToNextCardInStack, nothing happens. If I make it flash,
the default, the book flashes, so the target is correct. Any idea why
this is not working? Is a background a stack? I thought all the pages in
a StackMorph were one stack. The book's navigation controls work as
expected, and the menu uses goToNextCardInStack.

I have another unrelated issue. I have Squeak installed on two
computers. Both use the same version, 3.9, and both are running FreeBSD
and Gnome but slightly different versions. On one, morphs dropped onto a
stack page disappear when anything is right-clicked (yellow). On the
other one they don't. I can get them to stick by adding them to the
background, but I want them to be unique to that page. What am I doing
wrong?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com