[squeak-dev] Re: VM side EventSensor design questions

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 05:04:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> When you press the "H" key (as it is denoted on your keyboard) the VM
> reports this as the "H" key which is then interpreted by Windows to be the
> lowercase "h" character, which it reports as well. Similarly, if you would
> press Shift-H, it would report that you pressed the shift key, the "H" key
> which then resulted in the uppercase "H" character. Makes sort of sense
> dunnit? ;-)

The Linux VM gives the lower-case version. I'm guessing this is a bug.

>  And why is the character repeated in the 6th field?
>>

> Because the Windows VM is fully Unicode capable and produces both MacRoman
> as well as UTF-32 for maximum compatibility.

I just tried this. The results are very interesting. Already having UTF-32
coming in from the VM certainly saves me a lot of work.

I'll see if I can find an Asian Squeak image somewhere and see how it
handles input. From what I read on Wikipedia, some input methods use a small
GUI widget to aid with input.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_method)

>  Also, under the Windows VM, modifier key pressed and releases /are/ sent
>> to the VM.
>>

> Yes, indeed. You are pressing that shift key, no? Why would the VM not
> report that? Might as well decide not to report the Q key ;-)

What I meant here was that the Linux VM does not send the modifier key
events at all, and then I discovered that the Windows VM does. Again, I
assume this is a bug.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/