[squeak-dev] Re: VM side EventSensor design questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 24 21:35:51 UTC 2009

On 24.06.2009, at 07:04, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> When you press the "H" key (as it is denoted on your keyboard) the
> VM reports this as the "H" key which is then interpreted by Windows
> to be the lowercase "h" character, which it reports as well.
> Similarly, if you would press Shift-H, it would report that you
> pressed the shift key, the "H" key which then resulted in the
> uppercase "H" character. Makes sort of sense dunnit? ;-)
>

> The Linux VM gives the lower-case version. I'm guessing this is a bug.

Yes and no. Truth is each VM is different. On Win you get key codes
that match ASCII, on the Mac you get Apple key codes, and on Unix it's
not a raw value at all (should be X11 key syms but that hass never
been implemented). So you have to deal with platform dependencies
anyway.

> I just tried this. The results are very interesting. Already having
> UTF-32 coming in from the VM certainly saves me a lot of work.
>
> I'll see if I can find an Asian Squeak image somewhere and see how
> it handles input. From what I read on Wikipedia, some input methods
> use a small GUI widget to aid with input.

The Linux VM supports XIM, as does the Etoys image.

> What I meant here was that the Linux VM does not send the modifier
> key events at all, and then I discovered that the Windows VM does.
> Again, I assume this is a bug.

It is, but nobody cared enough until now.

- Bert -