[squeak-dev] Re: VM side EventSensor design questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 24 21:40:27 UTC 2009

On 24.06.2009, at 06:46, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> If you hold down a key, you get a stream of key press and character
>> events for the same key. Should it? I'd prefer to have character
>> repetition handled within the image so that arcade games could be
>> implemented.
>
> It's difficult to properly map this to the (dynamic) auto key repeat
> frequency. So I think it should do it, yes.

Indeed. The convention we agreed upon for auto-repeat is that you get
a key-down event when you press the key, and then more key-down events
for the repeats the system generates, followed by a single key-up when
the key is physically released.

I'm not sure each VM follows this convention yet.

- Bert -