[squeak-dev] Thoughts about Cog and "tracing" etc

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu Jun 25 11:57:24 UTC 2009

2009/6/24 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>

> Hi!
>
> Just dug up their paper on TraceMonkey for PLDI 2009:
>
>        http://blog.mozilla.com/dmandelin/tracemonkey-paper-pldi-2009/
>
> Seemingly a really nice detailed paper!
>
> regards, Göran

Reading through their papers, while I didn't spend a lot of time studying
the matter, I got the sense that the optimization strategies that Self
employed would
effectively accomplish similar types of optimizations, but arrive at
them in a simpler and more general manner.
 As for a comparison with v8, I think v8, largely by eliminating bytecode,
is a much simpler design and they are very well aware of the Self style
optimizations that can be employed to make things go much faster than they
do today.  In other words, it's a simple design that already performs well
(relative to other JS engines) and has lots of room for improvement.  I only
wish they had built the engine itself in a better language than C++.  I'm
not sure JavaScript would be a great language for building a VM, but I can
think of at least one other language that would have been quite nice. ;)
- Stephen