[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Sun Jun 28 14:57:06 UTC 2009

Hi guys!

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> Most forks have clearly defined objectives. Etoys, Croquet, Cuis do
>> have them. The objectives for Pharo are broader, and less defined. But
>> Pharo guys know where they are going, and they have some developer
>> time and organization to advance.
>>
>> Squeak has nothing of this.
>
> Yes it has

Mmmm, ok, care to elaborate a bit? Because I am slightly with Juan here
- I don't think we have "clearly defined objectives". We *do* have some
developer time and organization, yes.

>> The Squeak community needs to define objectives and an agenda for Squeak,
> We have, and we have had our adgenda longer than pharo has had theirs.
> The irony being that having defined an agenda for moving forward in an
> inclusive manner, the pharo team forked!

Yeah, but please - don't turn this into an argument of "we" and "them".
I don't want a heated flame war - I want a nice discussion about the future.

>> or decide that we don't have them, and that the Squeak branch will not
>> be developed further.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
> There is so much FUD in the past couple of emails I cant even summon the
> energy to reply to them

Then I urge you as a friend - to please do reply. Because all this FUD
is not apparent to me at least.

One simple test to show you what I mean:

- Surf to squeak.org. Try to find a Roadmap or an explanation about the
next release or where to get it. I can't find any of this. No, wait - if
I *search* for the word "roadmap" I actually find this:

http://www.squeak.org/Community/Roadmap/

But I can't see it in the TOC! Anyway, it is empty for 3.11.

All these things are VERY important. If the FRONT page explained what
the latest release is (3.10.2) and its changes since 3.10  AND we had a
good description of coming release - then life would be so much simpler.

Sorry if I am too sounding like a FUDer - it is not my intention.

regards, Göran