[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Sun Jun 28 15:36:47 UTC 2009

Hi!

Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> My point of view:
>
> Pharo people weren't happy with the way Squeak was developed, so they
> started their own project and now its development goes well: good for
> them. It seems like a lot of people are actually interested and working
> in Pharo; again: good for them.

"Them" is the wrong word. It is rather "a lot of us". And "good for us".

> Now I do like Squeak better, so I stayed here (beside, it would be a
> hell of a work to port my code to Pharo, with all the "cleaning up" that
> happened there).

There is always work in porting over to new versions of Squeak. If we
cross pollinate then you will end up facing the exact same issue. And
also, you can always "lag" a release or two - quite common for larger
projects.

> Why should I even consider letting Squeak die, or
> merging it into Pharo?

Because if the "trend" I am perceiving (I may be wrong) continues then
there will be very few of us left working on the Squeak 3.10 lineage
under the Squeak.org flag. And the fewer there are the more likely they
will jump over too.

 > Of course cross-pollination between the two
> project is something worth reaching for, but I can't see how Squeak
> doing harakiri is an adequate response to this challenge.

Well, if you consider a merge to be harakiri - then I agree it sounds
frightening :)

> Squeak development slowed down quite a bit. So what ? That's something
> we can discuss here in squeak-dev. No urge to surrender to Pharo IMHO.

IMHO this kind of phrasing and thinking - "urge to surrender" etc, is
the wrong way of looking at it. It is not some kind of war!

Remember that before Pharo was started all those developers were working
on Squeak. We are ALL Squeakers. We ALL want Squeak in the large sense
to move on and improve. We all want a good solid base to do our work in,
and a nice community to share. We all want fast turnaround on bug fixes
and contributions etc.

I just want us to do the *smart* thing here.

regards, Göran