[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sun Jun 28 16:30:37 UTC 2009

>>> Well, if you consider a merge to be harakiri - then I agree it sounds
>>> frightening :)
>>
>> If my work can not be ported after the merge, it is harakiri indeed
>> (at least for me).
>
> Why would it not portable? Are you using features that are totally
> unavailable in Pharo?

oh yes. well I don't know about "totally" unavailable, but I do try to
maintain my code for as many images as possible and I can't get it to
load in Pharo for non-trivial reasons that I currently don't even want
to investigate any further. remember that Pharo explicitely does not
attempt to keep backward compatibility, and it shows.

my codebase for muO is huge. I mean, huge. just download the archive in
SqueakMap and see what's there, you'll have a better idea about what I'm
talking about.

this is why I am at times speaking up on this list about backward
compatibility: I would like (some) people to realize that, besides being
a fun and toyish experimental programming environment very much open to
improvement and radical change, Squeak is also a serious development
platform upon which, year after year (I think I began with 2.7), actual
work has been implemented that would be damaged or stuck in a dead-end
if drastic changes with no concern about non-theoretical backward
compatibility were to happen.

Stef