[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Sun Jun 28 17:56:29 UTC 2009

Hi!

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:
> Em 28-06-2009 07:23, Göran Krampe escreveu:
>> (...)
>> Possibly true, but Smalltalk, Squeak, Etoys and even Croquet have been
>> around for quite some time now - and we haven't seen any real
>> explosion yet. Croquet was meant to "explode" but hasn't. So I am not
>> holding my breath for "the day Squeak gets popular" :)
>>
> I guess there are several issues when "explosion" (in the sense of wide
> acceptance & popularity) is a target for a project. I'll enumerate some
> of them that came to my mind:

Note that *I* don't really care for any "explosion". I was merely saying
that waiting for it to happen in order to gain something from it - is
probably foolish :)

[SNIP of 1-5]

Note: I don't agree with that list, but I get your point.

> IMHO Squeak.org "stillness" is happening because a point was reached
> when boring work is necessary. IMHO the board should be looking for

Nah, how come Pharo is doing all those things then?? I don't agree.

> corporate support in order to have resources to support the "boring
> work". As an example: some years ago there was momentum for the use of

I generally do not agree with those that think "corporate support" or
"paid work" is the solution. Sorry, I just don't.

I just want a Squeak that I can use and help improve and that has a
reasonable commit process, some nice goals and a reasonable leadership. :)

I don't want a company deciding what happens with Squeak. Definitely not.

> Again, a key issue is that perhaps there is just not enough people to
> support splitting projects. Again, IMHO that is one the issues that
> complicated the life of croquet. Not to mention that much of croquet
> related to 3D optimization and acceleration in cross platform
> environment...

That I can agree with - we are quite few.

>> Oh, and a final note:
>>
>> But what if Squeak.org is abandoned and everyone moves to Pharo, what
>> is so bad about letting that happen? It is NOT bad. But I think we
>> could do it in a smoother way and actually turn this into something
>> *positive*. The merge could be turned into a real BOOST to Squeak/Pharo.
> If everybody goes to Pharo it won't necessarily be a problem. The
> problem will be if key people stand in one side or the other.

Right... So I didn't disagree with *everything* you wrote :)

regards, Göran