[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 19:17:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 28.06.2009, at 20:53, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>
>  "Colin" == Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> writes:
>>>>>>>

>> Colin> IMHO, Squeak.org needs to either recommit to Etoys and education as
>> its
>> Colin> primary mission, or break compatibility and become a general
>> Smalltalk
>> Colin> platform for a variety of applications. This suggests a merger with
>> Colin> either Squeakland or Pharo, but even without merging, Squeak.org
>> can
>> Colin> get its mojo back if it chooses an identity.
>>
>> At this point, I'd be leaning back towards squeak central reintegrating
>> Pharo,
>> given that Etoys already forked.
>>

> Even disregarding what the Pharo people would think about the idea, doesn't
> that argument go both ways? As in "given that Pharo already forked, Etoys
> can now be reintegrated to Squeak"?

Yes, but in my opinion, Etoys is too much "specific". Etoys is excellent,
for what it is. But I don't think Squeak must be toys specific. It must be a
good object oriented platform to build applications. Any of them: toys,
enterprise, research, etc...

I think in this way, Pharo is much more "generic" than Etoys. Something more
similar to Squeak.

Cheers,

Mariano