[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jun 28 19:32:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 09:07:45PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >Colin> IMHO, Squeak.org needs to either recommit to Etoys and education as its
> >Colin> primary mission, or break compatibility and become a general Smalltalk
> >Colin> platform for a variety of applications. This suggests a merger with
> >Colin> either Squeakland or Pharo, but even without merging, Squeak.org can
> >Colin> get its mojo back if it chooses an identity.
> >
> >At this point, I'd be leaning back towards squeak central reintegrating Pharo,
> >given that Etoys already forked.
>
> Even disregarding what the Pharo people would think about the idea,
> doesn't that argument go both ways? As in "given that Pharo already
> forked, Etoys can now be reintegrated to Squeak"?

Integrating Etoys back into Squeak is a good idea, and right now
would be a good time to do it. I don't have any personal involvement
with Etoys, but it seems like the Right Thing To Do in the interest
of maximizing the total worldwide supply of good karma.

Reintegrating Pharo might be a good thing to do, but it seems premature
to be worrying about it now.

Dave