[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sun Jun 28 20:37:20 UTC 2009

I agree with what Juan and K. K. Subramaniam wrote. Squeak needs a
goal, a statement what it is supposed to be. One thing I miss from the
old days is the kitchen sink image. Neither Etoys nor Pharo have the
goal for delivering such an image. So that could be a good raison
d'être: Show what can be done with Squeak, and show what is done with
Squeak. Something inclusive, a place for showing off all the cool,
interesting, blue plane stuff, which is possible with such a dynamic
environment. This attracted me to Squeak in the first place, and I
think it still has the potential to attract newcomers.

I miss Connectors, MathMorphs, Alice, Games, ThingLab, Genie, Nebraska
and all the other cool things that were once. But maybe it's just
me. ;-)

Thanks for your attention.

Cheers,
Bernhard