[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:09:25 UTC 2009

2009/6/28 Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com>:
> I agree with what Juan and K. K. Subramaniam wrote. Squeak needs a goal, a
> statement what it is supposed to be. One thing I miss from the old days is
> the kitchen sink image. Neither Etoys nor Pharo have the goal for delivering
> such an image. So that could be a good raison d'être: Show what can be done
> with Squeak, and show what is done with Squeak. Something inclusive, a place
> for showing off all the cool, interesting, blue plane stuff, which is
> possible with such a dynamic environment. This attracted me to Squeak in the
> first place, and I think it still has the potential to attract newcomers.
> I miss Connectors, MathMorphs, Alice, Games, ThingLab, Genie, Nebraska and
> all the other cool things that were once. But maybe it's just me. ;-)

I'd like to ask, where those people who care maintaining these bits ,
making them available for new squeak versions, improving them, adding
new features and so on?
If there none of them, then how do you think, why is that? And why
people, who does not interested in this stuff at first place, must do
anything to maintain it? Do they have nothing else to do?

That's why i am totally agree with Pharo vision on that: they don't
want unmaintained stuff in Pharo, that's why one of the Pharo
milestones is to clean the Morphic from Etoys and other unmaintained
stuff.
And i share their approach on that: if you want your stuff to be able
to work with base image, then provide a script/package/loader , or
whatever is needed to load it into basic image and maintain it. If
your package can't be loaded w/o errors, then it is your problems, not
the problems of people who developed core image.

Isn't that made clear to anyone these days: a days of bloated images
which includes everything and where everything is working is passed.
Because there are people who need to deploy stuff on server (to run
Seaside or Wiki, or other services), and if you put bloated stuff
there, and try to scale, the people around will start asking, why it
consumes so much resources?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.