[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Jun 28 21:45:28 UTC 2009

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful answer. All you say here is
important. I was aware of the new process. I was not aware of some of
the details for 3.11 and 4.0. Thanks for all this.

However, I am not asking about the this. What I'm after is the general,
long term objectives of Squeak. The kind of statement the Board should
come with, with the endorsement of the Board.

For example, Pharo says:
- a progressive, open-source Smalltalk platform for professional use
- a flexible environment to support the research of new language concepts
- We will really favor evolutionary and incremental changes. We want to
be able to experiment with important new features or libraries.
- Beauty to learn from
- Not backward compatible
- Clean, lean and fast

Cuis says:
- Close to the ideas in Smalltalk-80 and "Design Principles Behind
Smalltalk".
- Include only kernel functionality.
- Included stuff should be in very good shape.
- Include a greatly simplified version of Morphic as the main UI.
- Easy to fix and extend.
- Cuis is yours to extend it to suit your needs.
- Stable. Smalltalk kernel should not change much.
- Compatible to a reasonable degree with packages intended for other
Squeak distributions.
- There will be optional packages available for Cuis, if people start
building or using them. We don't want to control that process.

For Squeak, along these lines, from your email I select
- We have more backwards and forwards compatibility now than we ever had
before. The crux of the difference between squeak and pharo philosophies
has been the issue of backwards compatability.
- The stated goal has been for at least 3 years to work towards a kernel
image, with which people can build up the custom image
- The proposal is to have a range of deliverables for different goals,
from minimal images to fully loaded images for testing. that they want.

These kind of stuff should be at the top of Squeak.org, so people (even
old timers like me) can know where is Squeak headed.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich