[squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 22:30:03 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:
>> For example, Pharo says:
>> - a progressive, open-source Smalltalk platform for professional use
>> - a flexible environment to support the research of new language concepts
>> - We will really favor evolutionary and incremental changes. We want to be
>> able to experiment with important new features or libraries.
>> - Beauty to learn from
>> - Not backward compatible
>> - Clean, lean and fast
>
> once we remove from this list general statements like "we want it good and
> nice and better than Squeak" and keep only precise, specific items, what is
> left is:
>
>> - Not backward compatible

because, unfortunately, it is a main obstacle for moving forward.
Or maybe not? Maybe we should start making amazing stuff right now?
I really like doing amazing stuff!
But i see, that to make something i need to make a tons of patches
into different parts of system, or rewrite them from scratch. Only
then i can start doing something. But wait! Each time i changing
something in core libraries, it could break something else in
someone's else code.
So, i should start a fork, otherwise, my stuff can never see the
light, or it would never have a chances to be as much amazing as i
like to if i keep running old horse.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.