[squeak-dev] Compatibility (was some other subject...)

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:47:46 UTC 2009

2009/6/29 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>:
>> To simply state that it will break one's code is perhaps not enough
>> when a growing frustration in the community shows up. We should
>> definitively understand better what kind of need in terms of
>> compatibility our community has.
>
> at times I wonder what kind of community this is. it definitely doesn't feel
> like a community to me: I have been contribution packages and original work
> for years that have mostly been unnoticed by 99% of the "community". and
> when I speak up like I do today I feel like an alien.

Don't be upset with that. It's extremely challenging to contribute to
Squeak. And it's time to change that. You can make your point worth on
the mailing list and also discuss with Squeak Oversight Board. The
process is likely to be painful by any mean but we should leave our
emotions aside and discuss about what's important for every and each
of us.

> the sociological structure of the Squeak community is maybe a key point
> worth studying, that would help defining Squeak's goals and means. we have
> researchers, educators, individuals, businesses and a large part of silent
> people (as everywhere, but for Squeak specifically maybe it's no so good to
> be silent)

I agree with that. We need to speak up more and stand for what we
believe. I was mostly silent but it seems to be the right time to
share my experience, but also to listen to yours and others. Bear with
us, all right? =)

> Stef

Regards,
Ian