Amazing stuff (Was: Re: [squeak-dev] The future of Squeak & Pharo (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Pharo MIT license clean))

Bert Freudenberg bert at
Mon Jun 29 09:53:42 UTC 2009

On 29.06.2009, at 10:11, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2009/6/29 Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at>:
>>> Maybe it is my personal style/perception, who knows, maybe i'm too
>>> focused on cleaning stuff. But it will be last day of my life as
>>> programmer, if i start using #isKindOf:orOf: or similar stuff. Or
>>> start using stuff which using #isKindOf:orOf: .
>> I hereby grant you my permission to kill #isKindOf:orOf: and all of
>> its
>> friends and family.
> Wellcome ...
> to Pharo!
> Muhahaha :))))

I don't think that is what Stéphane meant.

"Refactoring is making changes to a body of code in order to improve
its internal structure, without changing its external behavior." -- M.

Refactoring is Good. We should do more of it in Squeak. Replace use of
#isKindOf:orOf: with a more sensible design. Yay!

Ripping out stuff breaking features for a million users is not. Now
Pharo does not have millions of users to care about yet, they are
making a new system with a different focus. Great for them. But this
does not really apply to Squeak.

- Bert -